Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The Falafel Dumpling Gang

Or, How I was Utterly Humiliated by the tastiest of legumes

For the last couple of weeks, my mother has been using the deep-fryer fairly often, as part of a home-made French fry and fritter binge, as we have a good hundred pounds of high grade potatoes that Mom is trying to get rid of. So, after steak, fries and onion rings twice this weekend (the horror), Mom told me that if I wanted to deep fry anything to do it Monday so that the fryer can go back into storage.

Now, I've had a hankering for Falafel for a while. Ever since I got hooked on it by the Pita Pit, its the pita/wrap that I almost always get, and I wanted to try making it at home. So, I got this recipe, whipped out a can of chickpeas, and went to town with the food processor. I get my Falafel patties ready, put them in the oil, wait two minutes to turn them, open it up to turn them and................Nothing. The 4 patties I had put in have disappeared into the oil. So, I think maybe the falafel is too moist, so I try and salvage it into something mildly edible and put in some bisquick, so its like a falafel fritter or something. Put 5 of those in, go to turn them over............ Nothing. I lift the basket up, and its encrusted with falafel crumbs and deep fried dough. So, I dump the basket, add more bisquick, and use up the rest. I end up with 4 incredibly doughy balls that fall apart as soon as they are touched, and a basket that is lined with more falafel crumbs and dough.

Pissed off, and trying to use up some pitas, I say "Screw It!!" and try to fill a pita with the greasy crumbs and doughy mess. If you think that sounds unappetizing, your right. My quest for tasty home-made falafel continutes. Also, I'll never trust a vegan again, as that recipe sucked. On a side note, apparentty Tahini turns into a fucking solid brick if left in the fridge for a month.

On a blog note, yes, it has been a while since I posted. And yes, I'm gonna try and post more often. But, I'm pretty stupid lazy, so we'll see how that goes.


Also, check out Zach Braff's blog. It's the dude from Scrubs and Garden State. Scrubs is awesome, but I haven't had a chance to see Garden State yet. Anyways, his postings are pretty funny. "10,000 spoons when all you need is a dictionary" is a personal favourite.