Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Mark Cuban Saves Reality TV, My Mother Goes Ape-Shit

No, she doesn't go apeshit over The Benefactor, which I will come to in a minute, nor was she angry at me or any of my family (anymore than usual, anyways). No, my parents marked their 25th Anniversary a couple of weeks ago, and to commemorate the occasion, me and my siblings, with help from my mom's best friend, threw a surprise party for them this past Saturday. Ok, really, my mom's friend did most of the work, and my sister. My brother and I had the task of keeping the 'rents in the dark, and as such did virtually nothing to clean, prepare, etc. We succeeded totally. My mom was utterly clueless that Seventy odd people were going to descend on our house Saturday evening. Dad suspected something, but only about 15-20 people
or so.

The best part was that 8 of her 12 siblings were able to make it down. We really only get to see them now about once or twice a year, usually at weddings or other events, so it was nice to see them for a day or so. All of my dad's sisters came down, as well as a bunch of cousins. My cousin, we'll call her Cindy, has absolutely the most adorable and precocious little girls, 4 and 3 years old. My mom was a little upset that the 3 year old is able to read better than a number of her Grade 3 students. Anyone else think this is a problem? Anyways, enough about that, a good time was had by all, and we have lots of left over turkey, pop, and most importantly, date squares :)

As mentioned above I watched
The Benefactor on Monday, and I believe this is the first reality show that I actually liked. Survivor pissed me off too quickly with all the "betrayal" and "alliances" and bull shit that Jeff Probst would spend far too much time analyzing. Big Brother has been retarded from the get go, and The Bachelor seems indicative to me of the fall of Western Civilization. But, this, is finally it.

Everything is based on what Mark Cuban wants, so there's none of the false objectivity or bone-head political maneuvering of most of the other shows. I mean, Elimination Jenga? This man kicks ass I don't know if he can top that, but heres hoping. That said, Cuban is pretty annoying, and arrogant as all hell, so we'll see if this series can hold my interest. Honest Mark, "stupid" isn't always a bad word. And I was disappointed that Grayson lost to William. Will just annoys the hell out of me. Anyways, that's all I can remember about the show now. I really need to post immediately after the fact.