Thursday, September 09, 2004

Back to school! Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool!

So, back in classes, and finished at the slaughterhouse. Of all my summer jobs, that was probably the best as far as work environment, although definitely not for the money. I got hooped out of taking Anatomy and Physiology like I wanted to, to see if I had a knack for it, but it might not be so bad. I picked up History 260: Western Civilization instead. I was hoping for an Abnormal Psych course or something else totally different from what I want to do, but this was the only course that: a) I was remotely interested in, b) didn't conflict with anything else, and c) actually transferred somewhere.

On that note, why the Hell is the U of A so anal about transfer credit? Looking at the LCC Transfer guide, it looks like they only accept about a quarter of what the U of L and U of C do( and significantly less than Athabasca, but they'll take anything it seems). Now admittedly, LCC is primarily concerned with compatibility with the U of L, and most of the courses here aren't really University courses at all. But still, a junior survey course of Western History can't be all that different from any other, correct? And its not like its just some idiot teaching it. I have a Ph.D. teaching it, which is very rare for this place, and Dr. Ellis seems to know what he's doing, as well as being relatively well published. Whatever, hopefully I can get credit, and if not, then I can challenge a course.

Overall, this semester should be pretty fun and easy. Two of my instructors are pretty good, and I'm taking 3 courses form the one ( I had him last semester). Haven't met the third one yet, for my programming course. Taking Introductory Programming in C, Pop Culture, Film Studies, World Religions, and the afore-mentioned Western Civilization. If they would allow me to, I would challenge the religion and history. The hard part is just going to be avoiding writer's block, like last semester, and keeping up with the Film Studies Journals, and reflections, blah blah , etc for Religion. If I don't get a 3.8ish this semester, I hereby give every reader of this blog permission to smack me hard, with either a back hand or some suitable, dull object.

Also, if you haven't yet, give Ben Harper: Live from Mars a listen. I got a copy of the electric disc a few years ago, but never really listened to it til last week. Looks like I'll go buy it, in order to get the acoustic disc as well. Hear that RIAA, music sharing can increase sales, you idiots!!

Also, Pearl Jam: Live at Benaroya Hall kicks ass. And for those of you in Edmonton, if your not going to see Los Lobos, The Corb Lund Band, and some other dude tonight at the Winspear, then I will be disappointed in you.

PS, apparently the world "blog" is not included in Blogger's spell-check dictionary.